It is well known that Ofsted inspectors spend time before or during an inspection reviewing content on your school website. But with little notice of an impending visit, keeping your site up-to-date could save time and hassle during that all-important Ofsted visit countdown!
Preparing your website
By ensuring your school website is well organised, easy to navigate and provides clear content, you will give the best first impression to potential Ofsted Inspectors.
Areas to consider:
1. Make sure your policies are as easy to find as possible – consider having a central policies page to organise statutory content. This also saves time when updating information as it’s all in one place! Remember that these changes will also benefit your school community, ensuring they can quickly access accurate information.
2. Publishing a prospectus or a curriculum policy is no longer require. Instead, schools must make key information publicly available on the internet – most commonly through a dedicated website. It is advised by the Department for Education that a school website includes:
- Pupil Premium allocation, use and impact on attainment
- Curriculum provision, content and approach by academic year and by subject
- Admission arrangements
- The school’s policies in relation to behaviour, charging and SEN/disability provisions
- Links to Ofsted reports and performance data
- Details of the school’s latest Key Stage 2 and 4 attainment and progress measures
3. Each local authority still has a responsibility to produce a composite prospectus (containing information about every school) each year. Support must be provided to parents who are going through the admissions process which includes making information easily available, and a school website is an ideal means to do this.
Since September 2015, Ofsted have been enforcing statutory school website requirements. Please be aware that these requirements vary depending on whether you are a maintained school or an academy / free school.
For full details on the information you need to display on your school website, read our Ofsted Checklist to make sure your website is ready for inspection.