“Education…the great life-transforming opportunity for all”
David Cameron, address to 1922 Committee, May 2015
How exactly are the Conservatives going to give children “the best start in life” in the first Conservative majority government in 20 years? According to Nicky Morgan, a popular re-appointment with the unions, it will largely be by rebuilding bridges with teachers and listening to them in order to tackle poor school performance and ensure lots of good and excellent teachers. ASCL is looking forward to continued ‘constructive dialogue’ with the Secretary of State and enjoys her endorsement of its Blueprint for a self-improving system.
Conservative key manifesto pledges include:
- Drive up standards and ensure good primary places for all children. Turn failing and coasting secondary schools into academies; fund 500 free schools; expand the NLE programme for failing primary schools; permission for all good schools to expand, including grammars
- Reduce the inspection burden. Zero tolerance of failure
- World class maths, science and computing
- Improve skills training. Create 3 million new apprenticeships
- Protect school funding
- Back teachers: tackling behaviour; supporting an independent College of Teaching.