Early Reading & Phonics in a Reading Rich Curriculum (2 virtual sessions) 28 January & 29 April 2021
This two-day online course will explore the importance of early reading and phonics in a ‘Reading Rich’ curriculum that values the importance of reading as a crucial life skill.
Day 1 will explore:
• What early reading is.
• The importance of building language and vocabulary.
• A systematic approach to phonics, including best practice in the use of phonetically decodable books.
• Planning for reading in every area of the curriculum, including continuous provision.
Day 2 will explore:
• Approaches to Guided Reading in EYFS/KS1.
• How to link to early reading to your whole school approach to reading.
• Developing a reading for pleasure culture.
• Encouraging reading at home.
• Assessing reading skills and strategies.
Delegates will leave with improved subject knowledge as well as a raft of strategies with which to ensure early reading and phonics are prioritised in their settings. Delegates will also be given a gap task to completed between the two sessions.
These virtual sessions will be recorded so you can access the training at a later date, if you are unable to attend live.
Who's it for?
EYFS teachers, KS1 teachers, Literacy Lead, Phonics Lead, Senior Leaders who want to develop an understanding of early reading and phonics.
EYFS and Primary